Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mixture

I am currently working on my 3rd week of gluten free dieting. It was really hard in the beginning due in part to changing my habits and craving the things I ate before as well as not having a firm grasp on how to bake gluten free or what exactly I was suppose to eat! I am not allergic to gluten nor do I have Celeac's disease (spelling?) I simply am trying to eat healthier and lose my baby weight from my latest pregnancy.

I have spent HOURS on my laptop, looking up recipes, trying them, and ultimately being disappointed with the majority of them. I have found that most gluten free baking recipes have a list of what seems like 1000 different kinds of flours and rising agents...and I cannot run to the store and buy YET ANOTHER set of ingredients for every meal. After about a week and a half of this, I found a couple websites that yielded GREAT results and I also discovered a mixture of gluten free flours that I can premix, store in a large, lidded tupperware container and use just like all-purpose white flour when baking. So, most of these recipes have been altered by myself to use this flour and to exclude processed sweeteners. Since then, I have had enormous success making food that is not only "good" but that my family LOVES (even my picky son!).
I am going to post recipes and pictures of the foods I make on here for other gluten free-ers. I TRY to do sugar free as well, but from time to time, the sweetener finds it's way in to some of the recipes...hehe...but I ALWAYS use raw honey or sucanat for my sugar. NEVER processed white sugar.

First, I will share my flour mixture recipe:





2 cups brown rice flour (or you can use 1 C millet flour, 1 C brown rice flour, which is what I use)
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum






Mix it up really well and then put it in an air tight container or a ceramic bin with a lid. Both will keep the moisture out of the mixture. Once mixed, you can use this cup for cup in any baking recipe in place of the myriad ingredients of a gluten free recipe or in place of the all purpose in a regular recipe. As with many of the recipes I will be posting, this flour mixture makes for a very hearty, very filling baked good...most of the items used in gluten free cooking are filled with good protein and nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment